As users of a service, you have a right to know which data the service is storing about you and how it is using that data. Starting tomorrow, this right will become law in the European Union as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
In the last months, we have worked out how this affects the Jabber ecosystem. This work has resulted in the creation of new service policies for the yax.im service, which become effective today.
We are only storing and processing your information to:
- provide the service you explicitly want (send and receive messages and files, participate in chatrooms etc.)
- fight Jabber spam (this is a huge problem!)
- ensure that our server operates properly
We do not create profiles of our users or try to monetize the data in any way.
Terms of Service
Our Terms of Service have moved to their own page, and we have made more explicit that you may not use our server for illegal things or to send spam.
To improve our (your!) data footprint, we are disabling the following functions:
- Disqus comments (they used to be nice a loooong time ago).
- Direct buttons for Twitter and flattr.
- Infinite storage of uploaded user files.